Town Hall Project
Town Council has approved a new municipal building located on the East side of Kinsmen Park.
At the January 23rd Council meeting, a decision was made to locate the new municipal building in the north-east corner of the Kinsmen Park parking lot. Previous Councils and current Council have carefully listened to feedback, criticism and considered all options to come to this decision. Considerations such as cost, location (far from downtown), existing leases in place, and inability to house all current and future staff with no potential for expansion led to this option to accommodate future Town needs. Kinsmen Park will remain an integral and vital place in the community. The goal with the new Municipal Building is not to take away from the beautiful space, but to work alongside it to enhance the features of the park, while providing services in one-stop to residents and businesses.
- One stop customer centre for access to municipal services.
- More cost effective and efficient services to the community (saving 1 Million dollars over 10 years).
- The current Municipal Building will become an integral part of the vitalization and enhancement of Downtown Strathmore.
- The location of Kinsmen Park is a hub for many community events and gatherings that bring our community together. The location will also bring more people into the downtown area of Strathmore.
- Parking: There will be new parking stalls to accommodate for the current parking. The new building will not take away from the current parking.
- The current building will be torn down and made available for seniors housing developments.
Q: Why is the Town considering building a new space vs. renovating the current office space or purchasing an existing building?
A: Detailed environmental and engineering assessments were conducted to determine if the current space could be renovated to alleviate the health and safety issues and accommodate growth. The results indicated that it was not cost effective to upgrade and renovate the space.Regarding purchasing and renovating existing buildings, this was also investigated, and it was felt that it was also not cost effective to renovate each space and it would not be efficient for residents and businesses to conduct Town business if they are required to visit multiple locations. A ‘one-stop shop’ was deemed the best solution going forward. A new building will also allow for enhanced accessibility for people with disabilities.
Q: Why is the location of the Municipal Building in Kinsmen Park?
A: Kinsmen Park is a hub of the community and located in Strathmore’s vibrant downtown area. Ensuring residents and businesses can access the Town’s services in a central location is important to ensuring the efficient delivery of services. The Municipal Building will become an integral part of the revitalization and enhancement of Downtown Strathmore.
Facebook and Instagram: @TownofStrathmore
Contact: Doug Lagore
Date Updated: January 30, 2019 - 12:55 PM