Animal Control

The Town of Strathmore promotes and supports responsible dog ownership and their first priority is the health and safety of the general public.

Barking Dogs

Do not let your dog bark for long periods of time. Remember to have food and water available if your pet is outside. It is important for your pet to have shelter from the elements in winter as well as summer.

Walking Your Pet

When walking your dog or cat you are required to use a restraining device which means any leash or other restraining system capable of allowing the owner to maintain adequate control of the animal. When walking your pets in parks or public areas you are required to clean up after your pet.

Animal Services Facility

Animals are kept at the Town of Strathmore in a holding facility.  The Town of Strathmore can hold up to 11 dogs and 7 cats.  Animals with identification are held for 10 days and animals with no identification are held for 3 days.  Town of Strathmore Animal Control can be reached at 403-361-2128.

Donations are greatly appreciated.  The Cats and dogs would love to have more toys. The facility can always use towels and dish cloths.

Lost and Found Pets

If you should find a dog, cat or loose a pet wandering at large, please contact the Town office at 403-934-3133 as soon as possible. Often a lost pet owners has already contacted the Town and are desperate to be reunited with their pets. If you find an animal with a tag you can look up the owner information on Virtual Town Hall to find a contact phone number. AFTER HOURS please call RCMP at 403-934-3535.

How to License your Pet

Fill out the information in the Dog and Cat License forms at the bottom of this page and bring into the Town Office.

Cold Weather Pet Care 

The frigid temperatures that coincide with Alberta winters can be dangerous for your pet.  If you own or are caring for companion animals you need to take extra precautions to protect them from the extreme cold.  The best place for your pet is inside, except when it is taken outside for exercise or is a breed of dog capable of surviving outdoor weather. Even long-haired dogs that are accustomed to being outside need extra precautions when the temperature plummets.

Here are a 10 simple ways you can help keep pets safe and comfortable over the winter:

  1. Provide extra food: Animals that spend time outdoors in the winter require extra food to give them the energy they need to stay warm. 
  2. Give liquid water: Ensure their water remains unfrozen by frequently replacing the water or use a heated bowl.  Avoid metal bowls that tongues can stick and freeze to.  
  3. Have a proper dog house:  A dog house needs to be the right size for your animal –just big enough for the dog to stand up and turn around, allowing the dog to retain its body heat.  Make sure the doghouse is sturdy with proper bedding (straw is better than blankets which soak up water that then turns to ice).  Finally, the house should be turned away from the wind to minimize the draft.
  4. Keep a close eye on your pet when it’s outside:  If you let your pets outdoors to do their business, keep a close eye on them.   Pets that are not acclimatized to the cold weather may not be able to tolerate the frosty temperatures- even for short periods of time.  Watch your pets to ensure they aren’t showing signs of discomfort or distress while outdoors.
  5. Wash the pads of your pets’ feet:  Pets that go outside can pick up rock salt, ice and chemicals on their foot pads.  After a walk, wipe the feet of your pet with a washcloth.  This will keep their pads from getting chapped and will also prevent inflammation of the digestive tract that may result from licking the salt.
  6. Trim the excess hair on your pet’s toes: Sometimes ice pellets will form in the hair between your dog’s toes causing discomfort when they walk outside.  The warmth of their feet causes the snow to cling to these hairs, melt, refreeze and allow for more snow to accumulate.  Trimming the excess hair between their toes will decrease the development of ice pellets.  If you are uncomfortable trimming the hair yourself, visit a professional dog groomer.   
  7. Be aware of garage dangers: Make sure that all chemicals are properly stored and spills are cleaned up.  Be especially careful with antifreeze, which has a sweet taste that attracts both dogs and cats but can be fatal in even small amounts.
  8. Practice caution before starting your car: Cats and small wildlife in search of warmth may curl up inside a car engine.  Before you turn your engine on, honk the horn or knock on the hood to scare them away.
  9. Is your animal especially susceptible?:  Animals that are young, old and in poor health are particularly susceptible to the cold. Conditions like diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease, and hormonal imbalances can compromise a pet's ability to regulate its own body heat. Animals that are not generally in good health – as well as very young and old animals – shouldn't be exposed to winter weather for a long period of time.
  10. Report neglected animals: If you suspect an animal is being left outside for too long without proper protection from the elements, report it to the Alberta SPCA toll free at 1-800-455-9003.

If you have any questions about cold weather precautions to take with your pet, your veterinarian – who knows your animal’s specific conditions – will be able to help you.

Access Bylaw #13-21, the Consolidated Fees Bylaw, which contains charges and offenses relating to Animal Control.

Dog License Application Form

Cat License Application Form

Contact Us

Department Title
680 Westchester Road
Strathmore, AB, T1P 1J1
Phone: (403) 934-3133

Municiple Enforcement
680 Westchester Road, Strathmore, AB T1P 1J1
Phone: 403-361-2112
E-Mail this contact
Map this Location