Volunteering for the Town of Strathmore
The Town of Strathmore has many opportunities for individuals to volunteer on select boards. To apply for any of these positions, please fill in the Application Form and forward it directly to Jennifer Sawatzky, Municipal Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org:
Town of Strathmore
680 Westchester Road
Strathmore, AB T1P 1J1
Assessment Review BoardThe Town of Strathmore is currently seeking volunteers to sit on the Assessment Review Board.
The Board's function is to hear appeals filed by citizens on their property assessment.
Public Arts Board
The Town of Strathmore has recently developed a Public Arts Board.
The Public Arts Board, an advisory committee to Council, is responsible to advocate for public art, advise on public art policies, procedures, guidelines, plans and issues as they relate to the Town of Strathmore, and provide support to Administrative staff and programs.
The Public Arts Board will:
- Develop a Public Art Master Plan
- Advise on public art policies and guidelines
- Promote awareness and understanding of the importance of pubilc art
- Participate in the implementation of the Pubilc Art Master Plan and individual public art project plans
- Participate in the periodic review of the Pubilc Arts Master Plan
- Advise the Town on adjudication process for commissioning and acquiring public art
- Advise the Town on maintenance and managment of the Public Art Collection
- Evaluate proposed public art donations
- Develop and implement a communications framework
- Provide advice on the decommissioning of public art
The Town of Strathmore is now seeking four (4) members of the public with a background in the following to sit on this committee:
- Visual Artists
- Arts Administrators
- Arts Consultants, Art Curators and Museum Professionals
- Art Historians and Heritage Professionals
- Architects, Landscape Architects and other Design Professionals
- Downtown Design Review Committee Representatives
- Business Representatives
- Citizens at Large
Top 10 Reasons to Volunteer
Thinking of becoming a volunteer? See a list of reasons that will help you make up your mind.
|10. It's Good For You||
Vounteering provides physical and mental rewards.
It reduces stress.
Experts report that when you focus on someone other than yourself, it interrupts usual tension-producing patterns.
It makes you healthier! Your moods and emotions (like optimisim, joy and control over one's fate) strenthens the immune system.
|9. It Saves Resources||
Volunteering provides valuable community services so more money can be spent on local improvements.
It is estimated the value of one volunteer hour is $15.39.
|8. Vounteers Gain Professional Experience||You can test out a new career!|
|7. It Brings People Together||
As a volunteer you assist in uniting people from diverse backgrounds to work towards a common goal.
Builds comaraderie and teamwork.
|6. It Promotes Personal Growth and Self-Esteem||Understanding community needs helps foster empathy and self-efficacy.|
|5. Volunteering strengthens your Community||As a volunteer you help support families and community.|
|4. You Learn a Lot||
Volunteers learn lots of things like:
SELF: Volunteers discover hidden talents that may change your view on your self worth
GOVERNMENT: Through working with local non-profit agencies, volunteers learn about the functions and operation of our government.
COMMUNITY: Volunteers gain knowledge of local resources avaialble to solve community needs.
|3. You Get a Chance to Give Back||People like to support community resources that they use themselves or that benefit people they care about.|
|2. Volunteering Encourages Civic Responsibility||Community services and volunteerism are an investment in our community and the people who live in it.|
|1. You Make a Difference||
Enrich your Life! Volunteering adds meaning in many ways, through learning new skills, makein new friends, and by makeing our community a better place to live. Show yourself and people around you that you care - perhaps you can inspire them too!
Every person counts!