When is a Building Permit Required?
A building permit is required for:
Construction of a new building;
Installation of a solid fuel appliance (i.e., Wood Stove or Wood Fireplace);
Installation of a swimming pool or hot tub;
Decks or porches;
Change in occupancy of any building (i.e., from retail to office, or office to restaurant, etc.);
Addition to any building;
Alteration to any building;
Demolition of any building;
Relocation of any building;
Reconstruction of any building that has been damaged by fire, earthquake or other cause (i.e., flood, tornado, etc.);
Correction of an unsafe condition in any building;
Any pool with a water depth of 2 (two) feet requires a building permit
Building permits deal with the structural stability of buildings and the health and safety of the building's occupants.
Please contact Planning & Development for information on Permit Fees 403-934-3133.
Building Permits are NOT required for:
- Farm buildings used for livestock or storing farming machinery
- Residential accessory buildings not greater than 10 m² in building area that do not create a hazard
Who can Obtain a building Permit?
The following individuals may obtain a Building Permit:
· an owner of the building (or a person acting on behalf of the owner)
· a contractor hired to construct the building
Information Required on Building Permit Application Forms
The Building Permit application form should be completed with the following information:
- Civic address and the legal description of the property
- Construction Value (labour plus materials)
- Building area (in square feet or square meters)
- Project description (Basement Development, Shed, Deck, Hot Tub, Residential Single Detached, Residential Addition etc.)
- Premises owner, mailing address, email address, and phone numbers
- Applicant name, mailing address, email address, and phone numbers
- Contractor details (if applicable)
Please review your Building Permit Application form to ensure that all of the included information is correct. Once the form is signed and completed, submit the application and 2 sets of construction drawings to the Planning and Development Department.
To guide you through your projects, please choose one of the following packages. Applications are to be completed and submitted to the Planning and Development Department for review.
|Basement Development Package|
|Building Permit Application|
|Detached Garage Package|
|Fence Information (Under Review)|
|Roof Over Deck Package|
|Swimming Pool and Hot Tub Package|
|Wood or Pellet Burning Unit Package|
17 March 2017
Bylaw #17-04: Land Use Re-Designation 60 Spruce Park Drive from M2 to M1 Bylaw #17-04 proposes to amend the Land Use Read More...